Every gun owner understands the need for a quality gun scope. From helping you achieve a long-distance kill to helping you defend your family, a gun scope can make your day in many ways. One problem that gun owners commonly struggle with is determining which scope to get—there are so many out there.
We have done the work for you by providing you with a review of the best long range rifle scopes on the market.
These scopes are some of the highest rated scopes available on the market. Take time to read through the product reviews to understand the features on each gun scope. Then determine which feature is the most important to meet the needs for your situation. A good gun scope can be the difference between hitting your target and missing your target. So do your research and buy the best quality riflescope that you can afford for your gun.
1. UTG 3-9×32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope
This high-quality gun scope built on a True Strength Platform is completely sealed and filled with nitrogen. It is shockproof, fog proof and rainproof. The one-inch tube has an emerald-coated lens for crystal-clear viewing, along with the maximum light transmission that is paramount to a perfect hit. The range objective is adjustable from just three yards to infinity. There are not many drawbacks to this scope. The illumination washes out the ranging dots on the reticule and the ring mounts are lower than average.
2. Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Scope
This is a small gun scope that performs best on AR-type high mounts. It is a laser sight that can use either a green dot or a red one. The small size and the easy-on button make it simple to point your rifle or handgun and annihilate the beer can, the hungry raccoon or the knife-wielding zombie menacing your property. One drawback about this scope is that the sight “on” button turns on much too easily, causing the battery to die at a faster rate than necessary.
3. Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic
The Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic is another small laser sight that performs well on AR-type rifle mounts. This sight has a two minute of angle red dot for accuracy. The high-efficiency battery lasts for three years before needing to be replaced. The one complaint about this scope is that the knob is very large and interferes with easy access to the bolt release.
4. Nikon P-223 3-9×40 Mate BDC 600
This powerful, tactical-style scope is designed specifically for use with .223 Rem/5.56 NATO rifles. It comes equipped with a 100-yard parallax setting which eliminates parallax for deadly accuracy. The generous eye-relief feature prevents damage to the forehead even with the heaviest cartridge and the most extreme shooting-angle combinations. The lens, however, is more fragile than most and may break at the first shot.
5. LUCID HD7 Red Dot Sight, Gen III (HD7)
This laser sight has four operator-selectable reticule options, an auto shut-off feature and waterproof and shockproof capabilities of 100 percent. This scope uses batteries at a rapid rate and often forms condensation in light rains.
6. Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm Scope SF Matte
- Durable, versatile riflescope is the result of collaboration between Nikon and Buckmasters
- Brightvue anti-reflective system of multicoated lenses provides over 92% anti-reflection capability for high levels of light transmission and optical clarity necessary for dawn-to-dusk big game hunting
- BDC reticle trajectory-compensating system is designed and calibrated to provide fast, simple aiming points for various shot distances
- 100% water- and fog-proof housing; O-ring sealing and nitrogen filling ensure moisture never penetrates interior
- Includes limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
7. Leupold Mark AR Scope 6-18x 40mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
- Mil Dot Reticle
- The Mil Dot reticle was designed to help the U.S. Marine Corps estimate distances. It’s now standard for all military branches.Range estimating with the Mil Dot reticle: With practice, the Mil Dot system is simple to sue. Dots are spaced in one mil (milliradian) increments on the crosshair. Using the mil formula, the shooter can create a table based on the known size of the object targeted. Just look through the scope, bracket the object between dots , and refer to the table for an estimated distance to the target. Leupold scopes fitted with the Mil Dot reticle include more specific instructions on its use.
- Multicoat 4
- Light reflecting off lens surfaces diminishes image quality. So LeupoldÂ® engineers developed Multicoat 4Â®, our own proprietary lens coating system to keep image quality pristine. Multicoat 4 greatly increases the amount of all available light that reaches your eye, while at the same time, it minimizes the reflections of the sky on the outer eyepiece. Youâ€TMll never be able to control the light, but with Leupoldâ€TMs Multicoat 4, you can always make the most of it.
- Quantum Optical System
8. Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP Reticle Riflescope, 3.5-21x50mm
- Elite tactical riflescope with 3.5x to 21x magnification, 50-millimeter objective lens, and G2 reticle; precision delivery from tight quarters to the longest distances
- Rainguard HD for a clear view in any conditions; Ultra Wide Band Coating for increased clarity in low light
- Range capability all in a short 13.2″ overall length; 34-millimeter tube construction; “black-out” concealment; argon purged for long-term reliability
- 3-inch sunshade included; limited lifetime warranty
- Features side focus parallax adjustment for adjustable long-range accuracy; .1 Mil Click Value
9. NightForce 5.5-22×50 NXS Tactical Riflescope .250 MOA – MOAR Reticle C431
- Scope Weight: 31 oz
- Scope Length: 14.8″
- Magnification Range: 5.5x to 22x
- Scope Objective Diameter: 50 mm
- Scope Tube Size / Mount: 30 mm
- Scope Turret Adjustment: .25 moa / 100 moa elevation travel
- Reticle Position: second focal plane
- Field of View: 17.5 – 4.7′
- Eye Relief: 3.7″
- Illuminated Reticle: yes Nightforce MOAR
- Scope Finish: matte black
10. Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 Police Marksman II LP 34mm Riflescope w/Reticle P4 Double Turn 677/P4 MOA
- Scope Weight: 38.57 oz
- Scope Length: 16.4″
- Magnification Range: 5-25
- Scope Objective Diameter: 56 mm
- Scope Tube Size / Mount: 34 mm
- Scope Turret Adjustment: .1 MRAD Counter Clockwise rotation
Schmidt Bender Double Turn MTC Locking Turret
26 mils travel
- Reticle Position: First Focal Plane P4 Fine
- Field of View: 5.3 – 1.5M @ 100M
- Eye Relief: 3.5″
- Illuminated Reticle: yes – P4 Fine
- Scope Finish: RAL8000 Color
The highest rated gun scopes will usually provide for good adjustments both vertically and horizontally. In addition, the best sellers will come with a mil-dot reticle.
Manufacturers now make rifle scopes needed for long-range shooting that are sophisticated and very precise. However, these high performing riflescopes will make it easy for you to hit a target located at great distances. As a result of this sophistication, these riflescopes can also be complicated to learn how to operate. However, once you learn how to operate them, you can realize great satisfaction in hitting a target with precision that is located 1000 yards away.
Scopes designed for longer ranges differ from normal rifle scopes for hunting in that they will provide precision for greater distances such as over 500 yards to 1,000 yards and more. The best scopes for use at longer ranges will have optics that are reliable, rugged and have excellent optical glass. Riflescopes with these features don’t come cheap but when you are shooting targets at long distances you definitely need to extra precision.
Some of the features to consider when purchasing a long range rifle scope includes:
• The glass used in the scope
• Milling reticle
• Elevation adjustment
Buying a long range rifle scope made with superior glass will make the target easier to see at any power magnification. One of the best ways to differentiate the quality of the glass used in gun scopes is to check out the scopes with a side-by-side comparison. With this method, you can quickly determine which scope has the better glass.
A good milling reticle is one that has dots and/or hash marks that are evenly spaced along both the horizontal and vertical axis. Most milling reticles come with Mil-Dot or Mil-Rand system for aiming at your target at long distances.
The range of elevation adjustment will vary from scope to scope. For long distance riflescopes, the more adjustment that you have the better. If you run out of adjustment range, then you will have manually hold the rifle for the additional range which can really impact shooting accuracy. The larger the tube diameter, the more adjustment range that you will have with your long range rifle scope.
You need at least 18x for distance shooting. The difference between 18x-25x is not very limited. If you are using the rifle for hunting, the low end of the zoom range is important too.
The more light, the better. As such, it makes sense that a larger objective lens would be able to gather more light than a smaller one. But there is a diminishing returnfor objective sizes that exceed 50mm.
Best Long Range Rifle Scopes
Choosing the best long range rifle scope for your situation can be a hard task when there are so many to pick from. We have tried to provide you with the best of the best reviews of long range scopes so that you can make your own decision.